Monday, June 13, 2011

Adventures in Baking- Pseudo Cauldron Cakes

I had a couple of friends over to watch Harry Potter 6&7 part 1 and for some reason I felt the need to make cupcakes. Earlier I had found a recipe for making "Cauldron Cakes." They said it was basically the same as this recipe for making home-made Hostess Cupcakes only adding some coffee. I haven't been able to find the recipe since then, I feel bad about that, but I'll keep looking. Anyway, my dad had been trying to convince me to make these cupcakes (pictured).

Adventures in Baking- Pseudo Cauldron Cakes: Apirl Sprinkles


I finally decided to yesterday, because it says "just add water." So convenient because I felt like adding coffee to it. And even more conveniently the amount of water it called for was the same for some instant coffee that we have.

That's when things started getting weird. I don't know if it was the coffee, or the cake mix, but it started getting "foamy" and mousse textured very quickly. Even after I added all the water, it just wouldn't calm down! I decided to also add some cinnamon, vanilla, and more cocoa powder to it.

Then trying to get the mix into the cupcake cups was tricky, to say the least. Sticky stuff that mix was.
Adventures in Baking- Pseudo Cauldron Cakes: Apirl Sprinkles

When they were finally done and I sunk my teeth into one of them, the texture was sooo weird! I mean, the flavor was great, but the texture is odd. Not creamy like mousse but it has all the light and airy properties of mousse. And not cake-like, but more like a brownie. A light moussey brownie?

I vaguely remember the recipe then suggested that you color regular frosting green... so I did.


Neon green.

I dunno, they look less like cauldron cakes (which after further research were supposed to be placed upside down and then iced) and more like Slurm cakes. I almost added lime to the frosting, and now I'm thinking I should have gone for it! Lime and Chocolate coffee cake... it could be interesting! Well, with that being said, I don't think I should be put on Cupcake Wars any time soon!

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! I really appreciate you stopping by and saying "Hi!" I would love to comment back, so please make sure that your e-mail is "on" in your profile. Thank you! ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...