Friday, May 10, 2013

May Flowers Everywhere

For the Pieces of Happy Link up with Chasing Happy I decided to write it a little different, so bear with me.

You know how the old adage goes, and there doesn't seem to be a lack of spring flowers in my neck of the woods. Not only am I crocheting a bunch of them for my cousin's wedding, but I'm also reading this book: The Language of Flower by Vanessa Diffenbaugh.

April Sprinkles: May Flowers Everywhere

























I was drawn to this book immediately. When I was younger, I too had a fascination with the meanings behind flowers as the narrator does. As I grew older and started looking at the "grown up" books on my parent's giant bookshelves, I found a book about the meanings behind flowers (actually it was named "the Language of Flowers" too) in a beautiful purple hardback. It quickly became one of my favorites to go back to reading whenever I felt the need. There was even this little booklet I found that had a similar theme and I would take it with me everywhere and hide it places so that it would never get thrown away. It was my own special treasure. I don't think I ever really learned anything from them though.

Reading this book has brought back that spark that I had back then. I love the idea of subtle meanings behind things whether it be flowers, colors, or song lyrics. While I may not be able to relate to the narrator's life in the foster care system, I can relate to her enthusiasm to learning about the meanings behind flowers and using that knowledge to help others relay their own feelings. Plus the story is pretty interesting too. I have yet to finish it, but so far so good.


Then I took a couple of trips to Pacific Grove after watching some movies in the IMAX in Cannery Row. If you don't know about the beautiful purple flowers there... you are missing out. They are called ice plants, and when they're all blooming at once it is really spectacular. I read somewhere that they were planted to attract butterflies. Here are just a few of my pics from the outing.

Pacific Grove flowers
Purple flowers Pacific Grove
Purple flowers Pacific Grove

The ice plants had started to close up when I got there near sunset.

See those big mounds of what I call Starfish Plants in the second picture? Turns out they are actually called Aloe arborescens, and unfortunately I missed out on something freaking amazing that they do which can be seen here. It's called fiery Aloe spikes, in case you needed any more motivation to click.
Pacific Grove is truly one of the most beautiful places in Cali. (Well, as far as I've seen!)


Of course, I didn't forget that I mentioned I was crocheting a bunch of flowers for my cousin's wedding. There will be another post all about that though, so I'll leave you with a teaser pic.

April Sprinkles: Crochet rose boquet close-up
Her wedding colors are brown and green.

So yeah, basically I just want to say that the beauty in nature is one of the things I am most thankful for this week/month. Without it, life would be a bunch of suck.

Also: Iron Man 3.

Especially the part where RDJ dances.


Cue me melting because now I have a huge lust crush on him just for that little dance. I don't think I paid attention to the rest of the movie, I'm sure it was good. (JK, I did and it was better than good.)

We also got to see Alien in the theater on Wednesday. It was a one-night only thing and the marine even changed his duty day because he wanted to see it that badly! I had only ever seen it once before, and I'm glad the last movie in the franchise I watched was Prometheus. It helped the original make more sense even if it wasn't that great ;) (You can't cut a freaking alien baby out of you without crying and/or dying! That just doesn't happen. No woman is that strong. /rant)

So that's pretty much what I've been up to lately. The month is going by waaay too fast, and this week was blah. So other than working on the project and occasionally getting out of the house it's been a lot of watching shows and cleaning around the house.

Is it weird that as a whovian I am more excited to watch Orphan Black than I am to watch Doctor Who?! I feel bad, but the plot is so interesting, I can't help it! Anyone else share my feelings?

So what are your pieces of happy for this week? Join me at the link-up!

Thanks for stopping by

3 comments:

  1. The flowers are beautiful! There's just something about nature that makes it so easy to be content with life, doncha think? Love it.

    Thanks for linking up this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those purple flowers are sooo pretty! :) oh my gosh, I'm so in love with RDJ, he's just so sassy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those purple flowers are absolutely gorgeous! I've been practically drooling over plants lately, I just need more of them in my life haha. And RDJ is great! He's gonna need some serious therapy when he finds out he's not really Tony Stark though haha.

    Also thanks for following me, I love finding new blogs via blog parties and whatnot don't you?

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! I really appreciate you stopping by and saying "Hi!" I would love to comment back, so please make sure that your e-mail is "on" in your profile. Thank you! ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...