My cousin Shelly commissioned me to make her bouquet, corsages for the bridesmaids, and boutonnieres for the groom and his groomsmen. Her colors were green and brown, so as we were in the process of planning this all out, I dug out all the greens, browns, and off-whites that I had and let her choose from them. Convenient enough for me, these four colors ended up working out and I didn't have to go to the store for more yarn! (Believe me, I have enough already.)
The basic construction of this was made by hot gluing three dollar store plastic bouquet stems together (each with 6 stems) and one long stem in the center for a total of 19 roses.
It might not be easy to tell, but I knotted yarn around each stem and then twisted it so it had a spiral effect. The stems didn't match up perfectly which I think gives it a sort of organic feel.
They have one large rose and two small roses. (I moved them around a bit for the picture so they all didn't end up looking like Mickey Mouse made from roses, lol.) My cousin got the girls' wrist measurements and I made custom elastic bracelets for them to pin the corsages to. This way they'll have something they can use after the wedding instead of a flower bracelet they'll probably never wear again.
It was such a hassle looking for crochet corsage patterns online that I ended up making my own which I will share once I have it edited properly. Maybe it will help someone else who finds themselves in my shoes :)
Here is what it looks like on:
You might be able to see better in that picture that the bottom row of the bouquet has small colored roses and large off-white roses. I had to do that to make them all fit, and it ended up being a cool look.
Made from three small roses and they also have pin backs.
That's a hard word to spell! And I just now found out I've been spelling it wrong. Oops.
Another oops happened just before sending these off to her. I thought to myself that if there were four bridesmaids that maybe there were four groomsmen, which would mean that the groom would need one too. The oops was that I had only made four because that's what I thought I needed, and I'm so glad that I checked with Shelly after having that thought because I did in fact need to make five. But that was no problem. I got them all finished up, made some tags and shipped them off!
Yep, handwritten tags! Made with love!
To anyone who is interested in using my example to make their own wedding roses (or have someone do it for you/make it for someone else), here are all the details you need to know (and you can always ask if you need to know more!):
- Red Heart Super Saver Solids in Cafe = brown
- Red Heart Soft in an off-white/cream. (Not sure of exact color) = shiny off-white
- Red Heart Soft in what I think is either Leaf or Grass Green = green
- Lion Brand Vanna's choice in off-white = the sand-colored one
- Caron Simply Soft in a sage or dark green (used on stem coverings)
- US size G
- Lion Brand crocheted rosettes/flowers (free pattern) I ch 17 for the small roses and 27 for the large ones
- I also used this pattern from PlanetJune for the Calyx (the green part under the rose in the bouquet)
This project was challenging but so SO worth it! I can't wait to see pictures from the ceremony and after :)
Congrats Shelly and your lucky hubby! I wish you all the happiness from this day and forever on! ♥
P.S. If for some reason you'd like to commission me to make some wedding roses, you can click on the little envelope-looking icon over there ---> below my picture to contact/e-mail me. BUT unless I love you, there is NO WAY you are getting these for free! lol. So expect a fair, handmade price.