Sometimes I am struck with inspiration when I see something on TV. Case in point: I was watching New Girl a couple of years ago and Zoey was wearing this:
|Sorry, I don't know where I found this :( It's been on my computer for 2 years, so...|
Was this a match made in heaven? Was the universe trying to give me a sign that I need to make this skirt?
Well, yes, but for some reason I was too chicken to try and start it right then and there.
And you know what?
I'm glad I waited!
Because it never would have turned out as well back then.
So here are all the deets about my process through making this skirt, and you can follow along too if you need any help with making one for yourself!
Cut out collar and kind of cut out extra material across to the shoulder seams.
Cut off the buttons to save for another project. (because, buttons.)
Then I folded in the sleeves to make the pockets, and sewed across the bottom of the sleeves. (see picture)
|Sleeve/pocket placement and lining viewed from the side|
I pinned down the sleeve lines on the right side of the skirt so that while I was working it wouldn't get all messed up. I also tacked down the top with a couple of stitches when I was happy with the placement.
|Side view of the pocket|
|Here it is laid out before sewing up the back. Sorry it's a phone pic, I didn't think ahead|
Then I cut off a band of fabric thick enough to make the casing for the elastic plus seam allowance from the bottom of the rectangle.
The next step was to sew the skirt part together up the back, and then hem the bottom of the skirt.
I got out the shirt that I would be using for the lining. It was thrifted too, but I'm sorry I don't have a picture of that. It was basically black polyester from the 80's complete with shoulder pads. So I compared the skirt piece to my "lining" shirt, and cut it below the arm holes because that was the perfect length for my skirt.(Shorter than the polka dot layer.)
The skirt piece ended up being a little bit wider than the lining, so I sewed a basting stitch to the front panel and cinched it up a bit till they matched. Then I sewed a basting stitch to both of them so they wouldn't get messed up while I prepared the waistband
Then I was done! I just trimmed off the loose threads and made sure no basting stitches were showing on the outside.
this is probably some of my best sewing work since I made that mermaid dress for the marine's daughter. One of my friends even said she would have thought I bought it. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :)
I actually made this several days ago, but am just now getting around to posting since styling and taking pictures was a pain. (Even then I ended up taking the lazy road, lol) Turns out I don't have to leave the house to take pictures, but I really would prefer it. Too bad the Marine doesn't :P
Anyway, thanks for reading/stopping by! ♥
Let me know if for some reason this tutorial/thing was helpful to you at all!