Thursday, July 4, 2013

Happy Independence Day, U.S.A.!




I hope you're all having a great 4th of July! I can't believe it's here already. We don't really have any set plans, but we'll probably be going around the area in search of fun outdoor events and public barbeques! Yummy! We're having a hard time finding fireworks events in our area that aren't an hour away. (Monterey banned fireworks.) I find it ridiculous that Pacific Grove (near us) will be having a fireworks display for their Feast of Lanterns at the end of the month, but not for the 4th of July. What the heck is up with that?

I'm really proud to be living in such a great country with a rich history. Despite all the bad crap like the Civil War, Slavery, taking land from the natives and killing them, enslaving our own people because they looked like the enemy, and having to fight for our rights as citizens constantly, there are plenty of good moments that make me proud to be a part of a nation who has set many examples in the past. Our founding fathers were badasses. So were the suffragettes, all those who fought for equal rights with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., and even now everyone fighting for LGBT rights. I am proud to be standing by them fighting for equality, except it's still bothersome that we live in a country where we say "equality for all" and yet many Americans think that doesn't include certain people. Get over it ya crazies!

U.S.A. is land of the free because of the brave. We need to remember our roots, and remember that our country was built on immigration and is a huge melting pot of people who have traveled great distances to be here, and also built on a lot of things we'd like to forget (but can't!). We have to respect each others rights as people and forget our own personal beliefs. I could go on, and on... so let me show you a video I found today that I thought was especially inspiring.


Anyway, stay safe out there and enjoy the rest of your weekend! Oh and remember the reason for our freedom and thank a service member today! Especially the ones who actually did something. (Since the revolutionaries are no longer around to thank.) Oh and thank your history teacher in your head if they taught you more than what the Texas board of education would have you learn. :) Okay, I've exercised my right to be a smart ass enough for one day. Have fun!

1 comment:

  1. I hope you found a great way to spend the day :) Happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! I really appreciate you stopping by and saying "Hi!" I would love to comment back, so please make sure that your e-mail is "on" in your profile. Thank you! ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...